The Hudson Independent School District will provide experiences that will enable students to become literate, self-disciplined, independent, and responsible learners.
History of HISD
The community school of 1880, due to the sparce settlement, was at a remote location to the majority of families. This school was a one room structure which boasted such crude furnishings as "home made" benches and tables. As was characteristic of the day, a wood heater provided winter warmth. Facilities for teacher were limited to materials purchased by the teachers and the students individually.
By 1900 the need for additional schools was recognized and the Dunn and Narroway schools were built to serve those respective communities, which were some six and eight miles, respectively, from the nearest school.
Since the individual community school provided completion of grade school only; in order to obtain a high school education it was necessary for students to go to Lufkin High School. This meant that only those families who could arrange for the necessary transportation and were financially able to defray the additional cost of further education were able to afford their children continued schooling.
Finally, when the proposal for a consolidated school district came there was sufficient interest, vision, perserverance, and intellect to support the materialization of the "Hudson Consolidated School."
In 1883 W.H. Bonner deeded four acres of land to the Methodist Church and school. A two story building originally designed for a Masonic hall served as the church and the school. The land was surveyed by Abb Gibson, and was known as the Wallace Chappel Survey. This building burned in 1892, and another building was erected one hundred yards from the old site.
The school was moved to the W. H. Hudson Survey in the summer of 1900. It remained in this location for two years. In 1903 the school was moved to the land of the Southern Pine Lumber Company, just off United States Highway Number Ninety-four, and about seven miles from Lufkin, Texas.
In 1916 the school was relocated near the highway on a tract of land, known as the Frazier Survey. This land has been purchased from Ed Channeworth in 1915 for the sum of $35,000. In 1928 the school was moved to its present location on the G.W. Teir Survey and Octavia Jones Survey. The present location is on the south side of United State Highway Number Ninety-four, about six miles west of Lukin, Texas. The site consists of six acres of land, deeded to the school by W.F. Peavy.
In 1928 an election carried in each district for the purpose of consolidating Hudson, Narroway, and Bethlehem. During this same year, Chancy Switch District was annexed to the consolidated district.
In 1930 Providence District, Peavy Switch District, and Happy Hour District were united, by vote, with the Hudson Consolidated Common School District.
In 1940, by a large majority vote of the people, the Hudson Consolidated
Common School became the Hudson Independent School District.